Monday, July 19, 2010

We Survived...

Girls Camp!
Kaitlyn and I just returned from a week at Girls Camp.
Yes, I said it, I went to Girls Camp - I still can't believe it myself,
but it's true and I actually had fun.
We left on Monday morning and arrived home on Saturday.
I woke up on Friday morning and thought to myself - I think I can do this.
Then I laughed that it took me until it was almost
over to think that I could do it.
Camping is definitely still not my thing, but I did it.

Kaitlyn had a great time!!!
I was so proud of how well she handled it and how much fun she had.

Here are some pictures of our week...

At the Stake Center getting ready to head up to camp with
Madisen and Paige.


Kaitlyn getting settled into her A-Frame.



Two of her fellow campers - Joanne and Kara.


One of the things the girls loved was playing "The Cup Game".
They tried to teach it to me, but I wasn't anywhere near
as fast at it as they were.








Here is the group of girls Kaitlyn was with for the week.
They are at one of our nightly campfires.


This is part of Madisen's group at the campfire.


After each campfire we would have a dessert.
There were these huge June Bugs that were both
facsinating and creepy at the same time.
Katilyn was a little freaked out by them at first.

The group enjoying their dessert.




Madisen's 2nd year group getting ready to go out on their hike.



I was assigned to work in the craft area during camp.
The girls used a hammer to stamp
"Find The Courage Within"
(the girls camp theme)
onto a dog tag.

They also stamped their name on a washer and hung them on a chain.

You can't really tell from the picture, but they turned out very cute.
The girls and leaders really liked them.






One night after campfire we got a group shot of all
the girls and leaders from the ward.

This is my proof that I was there.
There aren't many pictures of me at camp.
mmm.....I wonder why?

Of course we had to strike a goofy pose too.


The YCL's (Youth Camp Leaders) from our ward.
Lisa, Ashley, Franzelle and Laura.


Every morning the girls had to do kapers.


Madalyn and Paige striking a pose on their way to do their kapers.


One of my favorite parts of camp was the girls met at crafts
each afternoon during their free time.
This way I got to see them a lot and spend time
visiting with them everyday.

During free time crafts we made friendship bracelets, ribbon flowers
to put on headbands and colored pencil bags.
The girls seemed to like them all,
but the friendship bracelets were the favorite.

Danielle, Kaitlyn and Joanne making their friendship bracelets.


Kara, Franzelle and Madalyn


Cheyenne and Madisen


Kaitlyn and Joanne


One of the girls in Kaitlyn's group won a prize from
the personal progress area.
They got to get their dinner first and their table was decorated with
Wizard of Oz place settings to go along with the camp theme.




While we were waiting for the buses on the last day
Kaitlyn's leader french braided the girls hair.


Kaitlyn's group was called the Lollipop League.
Their A-frame was decorated with a bunch of these lollipops.
It was very cute and I wish I had taken a picture of their campsite.


The last day of camp was Kaitlyn's birthday.
I gave her a pin that said, "It's My Birthday" and
her leaders gave her a pin that said "Birthday Princess"


Kaitlyn and I were both very worried about going to camp,
but it all turned out great.

Kaitlyn loved everything about camp from the very beginning.
My favorite part was being able to watch her experience girls camp
for the very first time and then to hear her testimony during
Friday's testimony meeting made all the dirt and bugs and craziness
of camp worth it.


3 comments:

Madisen Wright said...

Wow! Thanks for taking all those great pictures. Thanks for showing me that girls camp can really be fun after all. Madisen had such a great time. She was really grateful that you were there. Good job Ko Ko...Julie

Madisen Wright said...

Girls camp was so much more fun having you two there. I know you probably didn't really want to be there Karol but it really made me more comfortable. I was so happy to get to hang out with Kaitlyn and the other girls. And Kaitlyn's testimony was so amazing it made me cry a little bit!

Susan Seel said...

Ko Ko... who are you fooling... NOT ME!! I am to smart.. You didn't go to girls camp... I looked closely at all of the pic's and couldn't find you anywhere... You sly dog. Gram